If you are a figure skater looking to take your performance to the next level, a lateral trainer from UltraSlide can give you the competitive edge you desire. Conditioning off-ice is just as important as on-ice training, and using a slideboard from UltraSlide is a great way to enhance the intensity of your off-ice workout. We offer several different options, allowing you to customize your workout to meet your fitness goals. We would be glad to help you find your perfect slideboard.
Lateral Trainer Basics
Just what exactly is a lateral trainer? Although it may look like a simple piece of equipment, a slideboard from UltraSlide is carefully crafted using only the highest quality materials. You can depend on their durability and versatility for many years to come. Whether you are looking to improve balance and flexibility, or build lean muscle, a slideboard is ideal. Take a look at the different options available from UltraSlide.
- UltraSlide 5: If portability is a must and a bumper isn’t necessary, the UltraSlide 5 is an excellent choice. This affordable lateral trainer uses the same high-quality materials as as the UltraSlide 8 and 10 boards, and is perfect for push-ups, split-squats, and side-lunges.
- UltraSlide 6: If you are looking for a slideboard that is specifically designed for circuit use in a fitness center as well as for use at home, this model is right for you. Not only is it ideal for warm-up exercises, it can also be used for improving balance, strength training, and cardiovascular exercise.
- UltraSlide 8H: This model was recently added to our lineup for those wanting many of the benefits of the UltraSlide 8, but for a lower price. If you are looking to train at home, the UltraSlide 8H is perfect with its fully-adjustable bumpers and removable slide surface.
- UltraSlide 8: This particular model is our best-seller, and it’s not hard to see why. You can easily shorten the length to 5, 6, or 7 feet, which is why it has been used by professional athletes, hospitals, and physical therapy clinics for over 20 years.
- UltraSlide 10: As the premier model in our slideboard lineup, the UltraSlide 10 is a fixture in the weight rooms and athletic training rooms of many professional sports teams throughout North America. Depending on the athlete and training goals, this slideboard can also be shortened to 7, 8, or 9 feet.
- UltraSlide Octagon: Because figure skating and other sports require 360 degrees of motion, there is the UltraSlide Octagon. Athletes can use a wide variety of angles and change direction with this patent-pending design. The bumpers can also be easily reconfigured to create 2 lateral slideboards that are 8 feet long and 4 feet wide.
How Can Lateral Trainers Help Figure Skaters?
A slideboard replicates the feeling of being on the ice, which can help skaters improve balance as well as build up muscles in the legs, core, and more. Finding available ice time may not always be feasible, making a lateral trainer a great alternative to spending time at the ice arena.
Lateral trainers are also small and portable, meaning you can take the ice wherever you go. UltraSlide lateral trainers use only the finest quality materials, so you can rely on them to handle even your toughest workouts for many years to come.
Slideboard Exercises for Figure Skaters
Lateral trainers give figure skaters unlimited options when it comes to your daily workout. How can you make the most of your slideboard?
- Strengthen Your Core: This exercise is a twist on the traditional crunch. Lay back, face up on the slideboard with your hands behind your head. Perform a crunch while sliding your heels along the board toward your glutes. Do two sets for 20 reps, and if you would like more of a challenge, don’t let your head touch the floor between reps.
- Strengthen Your Legs: This lunge, aptly called the figure skater, targets the inner and outer thighs, shoulders, glutes, and quads. Begin with your feet hip-width distance apart, and hold a dumbbell in each hand at your sides. Lunge back using the right leg, and cross the right leg behind the left as though you were doing a curtsy. Raise your arms out to the side at shoulder level. Bring the right foot back to the right side and return to a standing position. Repeat the exercise with the left leg.
- Improve Balance: This simple exercise can help enhance balance on the ice. Keep one foot on solid ground and place the other on the board. The goal is to keep the weight on your hips while sliding your foot across the board without allowing your hips to move in that direction. When you get comfortable with that movement, switch sides and repeat.
Find Your Perfect Lateral Trainer
If you are a figure skater that would like to see how a lateral trainer can help you reach your fitness goals, be sure to contact UltraSlide today. We would love to help you find the right slideboard as well as explain how they can assist in your workout regimen.