When you ask any professional athlete their secret to success, most will point you toward hard work in the gym – but what equipment do the pros really use to take it to the next level? You may be familiar with traditional football exercises, but now it’s time to move your football skills forward with a lateral trainer. UltraSlide slideboards improve everything from acceleration to balance with their unique design.
What’s a Lateral Trainer?
UltraSlide lateral trainers provide a total body workout while focusing on your leg strength and conditioning. The trainers come in many forms – including slick, portable boards capable of providing high intensity, low impact workouts. To burn through your calorie load, move quickly. If you prefer a toning or conditioning focus, keep your movements slow and focused. Regardless, take a look at what slideboards are available to help you achieve your goals.
- UltraSlide 5: If you don’t require a bumper and want a more portable option, the UltraSlide 5 is 5 feet long and 22 lbs. It’s perfect for split squats, push ups, and side lunges.
- UltraSlide 6: The 6-foot option is perfect for group training and personal gyms. Upgrade your cardio and balance training with this slideboard.
- UltraSlide 8H: When you’re tall and need plenty of room, this 8-foot option is durable and affordable for your home training.
- UltraSlide 8: If you need 8 feet of training space that can withstand public or institutional use, the UltraSlide 8 is the one for you.
- UltraSlide 10: The UltraSlide 10 gives you plenty of space and the ability to adjust the bumpers as needed.
- UltraSlide Octagon: When you need the ability to fully stretch out, the Octagon gives you a wide work area. Plus, if you want to break the space into segments in the size of your choosing, you can just move the bumpers.
How Can Football Players Utilize a Lateral Trainer?
The slideboard is widely used in hockey training, but the lateral trainer is also prime for football-minded exercises. Here’s how top athletes use a lateral trainer for football improvement:
- Balance: Your first slideboard trial is balance. Many workouts target your core stabilizer muscles and challenge you to maintain stability.
- Conditioning: Train you body to endure high intensity, full body-engagement situations. The slideboard is ideal for short, intense sets, which gets you ready for the pace of a football game.
- Agility: Being able to cut and spin on a dime is important in football, and the slideboard helps you improve in this target area.
- Acceleration: When you engage the full lower body with an UltraSlide workout, you work knee extensions, knee flexion, leg abduction and leg adduction, which is everything you need for a snappy start.
- Maximize Lateral Workouts: You’ve probably already used ladders to upgrade your workouts, but a slideboard can help you maximize the same motions with an increased intensity level.
Best Lateral Trainer Exercises for Football Players:
To keep it focused on football, try these top exercises:
- Lateral Lunges: Eliminate some of the impact required in lunges, and slide into position. Use a set of barbells to up the intensity.
- Lateral Speed Slide: While staying in control, perform your fastest lateral speed slide into the barrier. Improve your balance and acceleration.
- Single-Leg Mountain Climbers: In push-up position, perform the climber alternating legs as normal, but allow yourself to push through the motions instead of hopping. Limit the impact to keep pressure off your joints and maintain a tight core for maximum balance.
- Asterisks Lunges: This one is perfect for the Octagon and will have you do a lunge in every direction. Start lunging forward, and repeat every 45 degrees until you end with a reverse lunge. This is the one you want if you’re trying to up your agility.
- Speed Skaters: Improve your cutting power with the powerful side-to-side motion of a speed skater. The first few will be touchy – but after extensive training, cutting will be a breeze.
- Double Leg Mountain Climbers: Condition and build your core strength with the intense double leg version of this exercise. Skip the alternating, and move both legs up/back together.
- Lateral Resistor Power Slide: Push from your trail foot and slide the length of your slideboard. Use your hands in a Karate Kid-esque wax-on/wax-off motion for the most efficient movement.
Order Your UltraSlide Today
Are you ready to maximize your personal and gym football workouts? Visit UltraSlide to learn more about which board is best for you, and submit a contact form for more information.