What is a Slide Board Made of?
- Competitor Slide “Boards”: Other slide boards (not boards at all) are often made from common plastic and are produced overseas.
- UltraSlide Bumpers: UltraSlide slide board bumpers are made from either reclaimed hardwood ash or 100% recycled plastic.
- UltraSlide Board and Slide Surface: Our slide boards feature strong, 9-ply birch plywood with high-pressure laminate finish and a slick, specially designed polymer slide surface.
- UltraSlide Rubber Grips: The non-slip rubber grip pads found under every UltraSlide slide board are made from 100% recycled tires.
- Slide boards have been used for many years by athletes seeking a low-impact and highly effective workout. They trace back to the late 19th century, when Dutch speed skaters would slide on barn doors coated with wax to practice their skating motions. In the time that has passed since slide boards’ humble beginnings, they have become popular with athletes across many sports and used by athletes and non-athletes alike for training and exercise, as well as for physical therapy.
Slide boards have been used for many years by athletes seeking a low-impact and highly effective workout. They trace back to the late 19th century, when Dutch speed skaters would slide on barn doors coated with wax to practice their skating motions. In the time that has passed since slide boards’ humble beginnings, they have become popular with athletes across many sports and used by athletes and non-athletes alike for training and exercise, as well as for physical therapy.
Many modern slide “boards” are built with common industrial plastics. Most are not boards at all, but rather just a thin plastic sheet that can roll up for storage, which greatly compromises performance, stability, and most importantly, safety. Most of these slide board products you will find for sale are mass-produced, usually overseas, and less expensive than UltraSlide boards, though their quality and integrity pales in comparison.
UltraSlide slide boards stand out from other slide board products, largely due to the exceptional quality of the materials with which our slide boards are made. What sets an UltraSlide slide board apart are its durability and built-to-last slide board components. With environmentally-friendly board materials that will stand the test of time, and slide boards that are made locally in the Chicago area, we at UltraSlide are proud to say our products are Sustainability Made in the U.S.A.
The bumpers on the UltraSlide 8, UltraSlide 10, and UltraSlide Octagon are made from reclaimed hardwood ash from the “Urban Forest” – trees in and around Chicago that were cut down due to disease or storm damage. This means no new trees were destroyed to make these bumpers. The wooden bumpers are also finished with a water-based, low-VOC (volatile organic compound) stain.
Additionally, the plastic bumpers on the UltraSlide 8H and UltraSlide 6 slide boards are made from 100% recycled plastic, making all UltraSlide slide board bumpers environmentally friendly.
UltraSlide Board and Slide Surface
All UltraSlide slide boards are made of quality materials meant to endure regular use and last for many years. The UltraSlide 5, UltraSlide 8, UltraSlide 10, and UltraSlide Octagon’s boards are made of 9-ply premium birch plywood. Not only is it strong and long-lasting, but it is sourced from well-managed, sustainable forests. The UltraSlide 8H slide board features an economy plywood, while the UltraSlide 6’s are a unique, one-piece design made from a thicker piece of our polymer slide surface.
The slick surface of an UltraSlide slide board is key to a slide board user’s ability to get the most out of their slide board workout. Our specially-designed and treated polymer slide surface ensures the smoothest slide experience possible.
UltraSlide Rubber Grips
The rubber grips under every UltraSlide slide board serve the important function of keeping your slide board in place to allow for the full extent of your UltraSlide workouts. Each UltraSlide slide board’s rubber grips are made entirely out of recycled tires. Not only do the grips maintain your slide board position and anchor your exercise, but they also help to keep tires out of landfills and dumps.
UltraSlide slide boards are unlike any other slide board you will find on the market, and most other pieces of exercise equipment for that matter, thanks to the high-quality materials with which they are built. Not only are UltraSlide slide boards handmade, but they feature sustainable, ethical components. When you purchase an UltraSlide slide board, you can rest assured that you are getting a piece of equipment that will endure many years of use, and one that is environmentally friendly.